Prima Steampunk Phone Frame made into altered art!
Hi there, I just finished another project that I plan to enter into Sandee & amelie’s Steampunk Challenge. Love their blog – all things steampunk, industrial, and vintage – and great inspiration from all the other entrants! We have been so busy these last few months working to make things for our Vintage Market, so it has been nice to be able to get back making art to share. This distressed metal phone from Finnibair/Prima Marketing was delicious all on its own. So I didn’t want to alter it too much and hide the phone. I wanted to have one of Prima’s Flower Cherubs to be the focal point. With the phone being so deep, I knew I had to make layers to bring the centre piece forward. So I started with a piece of wood (5×5 and 3/8″ thick). First I coated it with gesso, then I spread modeling paste around the edges and sprinkled glass beads into the modeling paste before it dried. I was happy with the texture it provided. Once dried, it was painted with various Golden Acrylic Paint (Burnt Umber, Paynes Gray, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Red Oxide). I set that aside to dry while I worked on the Cherub piece. Be sure to click on the images to enlarge them..
For the Cherub centre piece, I covered a 4×4 art board with gesso, before decoupaging tissue paper with text onto it (Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap – Terminology). I added texture to the edges of the art board using Golden Fine Pumice Gel, and Fiber Paste. After it dried, I high lighted the textured areas and some of the edges with Lumiere Metallic Paint (Bronze, Rust, True Gold). The white Cherub Flower needed a touch of colour, so I painted the edges with Finnibair’s Steampunk Copper acrylic paint. The cherub was first attached to a piece of foam board to raise it up off the art board to give it even more depth. I also glued a piece of foam board to the back of the art board so that when it was glued to the 5×5 wood background piece, it would be raised up even more. This also allowed for the metal embellishments to poke out from the different layers.
I used Finnibair’s new Prima Mechanicals as embellishments around and tucked under the Cherub piece. I had this old, rusty 10 gauge wire that I wrapped around the Cherub piece before attaching it to the 5×5 board.
Before attaching the entire piece to the back of the phone (I had to take the back off the phone to do this), I realized that the piece still wasn’t brought forward as much as I wanted. So I glued another piece of foam board onto the back the the 5×5 piece before gluing it onto the phone back and inserting it back into the phone.
I was pleased with how it turned out – Hope you enjoyed! Val