It’s been a while since I have posted. I have been busy creating for an upcoming Vintage Market. It will be our first adventure – should be fun. Reinventing lots of vintage and rusty treasures. Here is an art piece I made from an old picture frame. I call it Heart with Wings. I have entered this piece into SanDee & amelie’s latest Steampunk Challenge.
I started with a salvaged frame that had seen better days. I liked it because it was one solid wood piece, with a raised centre where an old print had been glued on. After striping the print off the centre, I painted the outer frame with chalk paint, sanding the surface back to show some of the wood before I waxed it to seal it, (being careful not to get wax where I was going to glued down the music sheet in the centre raised part).
Years back, during one of our “junking” trips, I found some awesome sheet music that ranged from 1902 – 1938. I used gel medium to decoupage the sheet music from 1935 onto the centre raised area. I used Distress Ink to age the edges of the music before gluing it down. Even the song title resonated with me; “I’m in the mood for love”.
Now it was time to add a focal point to bring the piece together. I combined Sizzix’s Tim Holtz – Feathered Wings die with Prima’s Sandra Evertson’s – Relics & Artifacts Heart and Flame. (did I mention that I love her stuff – and his too!)
After gluing the wing layers together, I painted a few coats of gesso on them. Then I painted them using tips I had learned from Andy Skinner (Easy Rust Painting tutorials). First I painted the wings with Paynes Gray, then a coat of Quinacridone Gold. I found it too light and a bit too yellow, so I sponged on some Transparent Red Iron Oxide. To bring back some of the Paynes Gray; I gave the wings a wash of the gray watered down. I hi-lighted the tips of the wings with Red Oxide because it is very opaque (I used Golden paints – my favourite). I did the same for the flame, and I rubbed on some Inka Gold (yellow gold) on the tips of the flames and feathers for more layers and hi-lights.
For the heart, again using some of Andy Skinner’s tips, I painted on sand texture (pumice gel). A layer of Payne’s Gray was painted before sponging on Quinacridone Gold. I love Ranger’s embossing powder “Brick” for rust effects, so I sponged on some embossing gel ink, sprinkled on the powder, and embossed it. I was worried about using a heat gun on the paint – but it actually worked! I found the powder too dull without enough texture, so I experimented again. I put on a layer of Deco Media Ultra-Matte Varnish, sprinkled some Brick embossing powder over it. After it dried, I painted on another layer of the matte varnish to seal the powder.
The pieces were arranged and glued down with Golden Extra Heavy Gel Medium – and it was done. I loved how it turned out! Thanks again for tuning in.