Retro, industrial, steampunk, one of a kind artwork & more!

Archive for July, 2015

Altered Window Pane

By

Jul 20, 2015 Altered Art, Home Decor, Steampunk, Tutorials, Vintage 4 Comments

Today I wanted to share with you a home décor project I designed from an old salvaged window pane.  At first I was content to simply hang it on my wall, enjoy the patina, and wonder about who had looked through that window for all these years, and what view did they gaze at. But alas, I had to do something to make it my own…

So, again inspired by Sandee & Amelie’s Steampunk Challenge Blog, I altered the window panes with some distressed Vintage/Steampunk/Industrial paper, made some rusty gears, hardware, pulleys, and generally distressed the look a bit more. I used quite a few of Tim Holtz products to distress and alter my piece.

This challenge was unique because you had to choose 3 ingredients from a tic-tac-toe grid. For this project I used; Rust, Top Hat, & Metal as my 3 ingredients. Here are the steps I used to alter the window pane…

1. I started with a vintage window frame that I had salvaged, cleaning it up just a bit.

window pane

2. I used vintage, steampunk papers, tore the edges, and inked the paper with a variety of Ranger Distress Inks. I love this paper from Tim Holtz and was happy that I found a way to display the Industrial images. The paper was adhered to the back side of the window panes (facing forward), I brushed on a very liquid decoupage glue that was safe for glass surfaces. Because it was very fluid, there was only a thin layer on the front of the paper – which made sure that the image wasn’t clouded with the glue between the glass and the image.

distressed papers

3. For the gears & hardware, I used Sizzix Gadget Gears and Hardware Findings die cut from grunge board. Then painted, embossed, and inked the grunge pieces (using Distress Embossing Ink & Powder, Acrylic Paint, Distress Inks) to look like rusty pieces of metal. I glued the gears and hardware to the wood using Glossy Accents.

Die-cut Gears

Gears rust effect

Gears on window

4. The rope was aged by soaking it in freshly brewed coffee and the grounds (oh, the sacrifices we make for art).

rope coffee stained

5. I used Tim Holtz pulley wheels (Idea-ology pieces) and distressed the color them with Alcohol Inks. I fastened them to the top of the window frame (I am a bit handy with a drill) with screws. The rope was used to loop around the pulleys and attach them to a salvaged small barn pulley that was cleaned and polished up.

pulley & ink

Pulleys before and after adding Alcohol Ink

pulley & hardwar

Pulley screwed into top of window

Altered window pane

Finished altered window pane

And Voila! the newly transformed window has found a new home on my wall. It enjoys a view out of my windows, and hopefully many will enjoy viewing it!


First things first…!

By

Jul 20, 2015 3D Art Comments are off

I have been doing lots of planning and organizing – and most importantly creating – to start up my blog. Recently I have been inspired by Finnibair’s style  after having taken her class last year. Wow – do I love this dimensional technique. I so wanted to do something more industrial/steampunk (with bolts and rust of course). While looking about for inspiration, I came across a fabulous blog dedicated to all things Vintage and Steampunk, Sandee and Amelie’s Steampunk Challenge. Loved the creativity I came across from their artists and followers, so I decided to enter their June contest as it fit in with the project I was planning. Well low and behold; I was honoured to receive “Top 5” for this piece…

The Wheel    the wheel detail

I called this “the wheel”. It’s done on a 8×8 wood panel. Gears and textured circles with gel medium on the base, covered with black gesso. The center piece is Tim Holtz Gadget Gears cut out of grunge board, building up layers to give it depth so that the screws and bolts could jut out from underneath. Then more small bolts and widgets are glued down with gel medium, graduating out the depth. All of it is covered with more black gesso before colouring with Prima Color Bloom, Silks Acrylic glaze, and Golden Acrylic paints; all to create a rust look. It was fun to create and I hope you like it.


    © Copyright BrushAndBolt.com